Monday, December 8, 2008

Intel in initial phase of harvesting free energy for personal electronic devices

Can you imagine a world where you never have to charge your mobile phone, Bluetooth or mp3 player? Intel is working on tiny sensors that can capture and harvest free energy from the environment, such as sunlight and body heat, which could lead to personal electronic devices running for indefinite periods without recharging.

There are already watches that are powered by body heat, as well as prototype smartphones with display screens that double as solar cells. Intel is looking at powering a mobile phone by harvesting the energy users generate by moving a phone’s trackball. The radiation of cell phone or TV signals could also be used to power devices. I am the world’s worst when it comes to leaving my charger at home, and my cell phone is generally on silent to avoid the repetitive “I’m dying, please charge me” beeping. This is some news I can really get excited about!

Click here for more of the nitty-gritty technical details.

No comments: